Monday, August 9, 2010

Puno and Cuzco


We just got to Cuzco from Puno on one of the best bus rides yet. We got to stop at certain tourist places and look around. I met a Spanish speaking friend on the bus and we got to talk and play on my Itouch which she was enchanted with!!! In Puno, we went to islands on Lake Titicaca and stayed with families. The first island we visited was Los Uros- floating islands. The islands were literally floating on totoro reeds and the houses were made out of them too. I got to go inside them and see all the beautiful skirts that the women wore. Then we went to the Isla Amantani and stayed there one night. We had a really kind family and the food was amazing. We did a hike to the top of the island and saw the sunset which was spectacular!!! After dinner we were getting ready to go to bed and a girl knocked at our door. When she came in I thought that she had brought extra blankets but instead they were clothes for us to dress up in and go dance!!! We danced for about a half an hour and then I needed to go to bed. The next day we took a one hour boat ride to Isla Taquile and hiked up a enormous hill. Once we made it to the top with our group we had lunch. It was delicious!!! Then we met our family while the rest of the group went back to Puno. Our family owned a restaurant so they were more busy in the day than the last one was. We also hiked to the top of Taquile to an Incan Ruin now used as a church by the local people with just our family and stayed there for a while. When we came back down we ate dinner and went to bed.The next day we went back to Puno and came to Cuzco. It was a pretty good week!!! Above is a picture of me in my local clothing with the niece of the family.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there - you look great in the native dress. Know you are learning so much about a new culture and I hear your Spanish is getting really good. Can't wait to see you when we come in December. Give my love and a big hug and kiss to everyone - especially YOU!
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Meghan! I love to hear that the food was delicious. You seem like you are really enjoying your time. I can't wait to hear more stories and to see your adventures in Argentina. Kayla, jeff, and I send our love to you all!
    Cat

    ReplyDelete