Sunday, August 1, 2010

On the Gringo Trail?


I read in one of our travel books that we picked up the Gringo Trail in Lima and will follow it to Cusco and Machu Pichu, but we haven't seen many gringos. Maybe we aren't looking in the right places, missed the trail markings, or after a month from our native land can't recognise one of our own. Meghan is starting to look and talk like a Peruvian. I almost bought a pack of chicklets from her on the street yesterday.
We are definitely hitting some major attractions, Paracus and the Islas Ballestas were full of camera toting touristas but I didn't hear much English spoken in the crowds..... embarrassment? Hotel and tour prices have increased and prices in US$ are quoted so we must be nearby, just skirting the main trail I suppose. We continue our journey tonight, a 13 hour bus ride to Puno on Lake Titicaca where we might find a freshtrail marker, maybe we won't.
My eyes tend to gravitate toward light skin in a crowd and often I am sure that I have spotted fellow Americans until mouths are opened and some language comes out. Some times, French, German or Dutch but most often it is Spanish or maybe Portuguese. My preconceptions are rarely correct and I enjoy being surprised. Most folks here continue to ask where we are from even after we have butchered the Spanish language while trying to ask a simple question. I always feel that "American" is stamped across my large forehead but I don't think they are trying to be polite either.... it must be our Peruvian daughter that throws them off.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to see you sitting by the pool like this. I'm greatly enjoying reading the stories of your families adventures, very inspirational. you guys rock!! By the way, if you guys need some money we may be able to help. i didn't realize that part of you plan to finance this trip was by Meghan selling chicklets. But since she's in the business i'll take a couple of packs. Happy adventures, Adam.

    ReplyDelete