Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I've Lost My Heart to Peru


Machu Picchu was fantastic! Very crowded at the entrance and exits, but there is so much space there you didn't feel it when it opened up. It was kind of fun to keep running into the people we had been on the bus with to Pisac. It was a comforting to see familiar faces in the crowd. We took an amazing walk up the Inca Trail to the Sun Gate - that's where the people who hike the 4-day Inca Trail come out to first set eyes on Machu Picchu. It's beautiful.

A special note: First photo is me in my gifted skirt from Holt and my gifted earrings from Ana. I wanted them to know I was thinking about them. :)

So backing up a bit, we took a bus to Pisac and Ollantaytambo and got off there and went to stay at Winn & Roberto's new hostel (Casa de Wow!). Winn is a girlfriend from West Asheville who has moved to Peru. For those who know her, I am thrilled to report she looks fantastic and radiates a new intense light. She's very happy and it was clear from our time there that this situation suits her perfectly. Winn's parents, Bill and Gatra, were also visiting.
They were such neat people, I am so grateful that we got to spend some time with them. We took a group photo with them before they left.

We rode horses today. We were supposed to be going to the Incan rock quarry. What we didn't know is that the trail is very advanced and not for beginners. Guess how I found out? I fell off the horse on a steep incline because I was pulling on the saddle and pulled it back so hard that it slipped and slid off the side of the horse. That poor horse! Ok, so poor me, really. I fell into a ridiculously sharp bush and one of the thorns punctured my wrist. When our guide, Wider, pulled the 3/4" long thorn out of my arm I had to sit down hard and put my head between my knees. Aside from being sore for riding the horse for 5 hours, my arm throbs and I feel it even when my arm isn't moving. Check out the thorns on this bush!

Okay, so aside from the pain, this place is spectacular. We have officially cancelled our flight out of here. We're going to Bolivia next - we'll head that way at the weekend. In the meantime, we're going to spend more time in Cusco without attending class. I can't wait to wander around the city for a few days!

1 comment:

  1. Ouch - hope you are healing.
    Looking forward to our next "date". Will email you when the computer is fixed.
    Love to all, Mom (Grandma)

    ReplyDelete