Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mercado Central y La Vega



Santiago's Market is HUGE. Its divided into two parts. One part is for eating and one part is for buying. The part for eating is much smaller than the part for buying because all it has in it is restaurants and fish shops. I am so glad we are near the coast again because seafood is one of my favorite foods. The fish shops sell all sorts of things from white sea bass to pink and purple things that I would not want to eat!!!
Right across the street from the smaller market was the huge buying market. There they had rows and rows of beautiful cherries, bright red peppers, big bags of potatoes and much much more. Everything was really cool but the spices were definitely my favorite part. They were in big brown cloth bags that were open so when you walked by the smell was one of the best things in the world.
The funniest things about markets is that all the garbage ( cherry pits, corn husks, bad cabbage leaves, bean shells...) goes on the floor. Well... I guess its good fertilizer for the cement floor!!! The only thing I wonder about is what they do with the leftover food. I'm sure they eat some but, who knows???
Markets are definitely one of my favorite things on this trip. Everyone is yelling, trying to get us to buy their products or in deep conversation with a local or a friend. While you walk through the beautiful vegetables and fruits you start feeling less like a stranger and more like a local. Now I've been feeling like a stranger for a little over six months and trust me, it feels REALLY nice to not stick out.
After doing a pretty full tour we decided that we couldn't leave without buying some things. Helen and I were set on getting cherries because they were so pretty. There were two kinds of cherries, the red ones and the red and yellow ones that were kind of like ranier cherries.
I wish I could have stayed forever but very soon it was time to leave. I hope we can return soon!!!

2 comments:

  1. how did the cherries taste? Tell Helen we got her postcard today, and thanks! Sam and Rowan got out of school early today because of a snow storm, which did not amount to much. Rowan had a play date with Abby Dickinson. When I went to pick him up, Kayla was there playing with Lily Mae. Lily and Abby are in our car pool, so I see them almost every day. I hadn't seen Kayla in awhile, and she looked much older! I bet you girls are going to seem a lot older when you get back. Love, Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cherries tasted great!!! I still can't believe its snowing there its so HOT here. We miss all of you!!!

    Love Meghan

    ReplyDelete