Sunday, March 6, 2011

Carnival

Today was a festival called Carnival. Carnival is a festival where people have water balloons and cans that look like silly string cans except silly string didn't shoot out, foam did. Everywhere we went we were shot by foam or splashed by water balloons. Finally we came to the Plaza de Armas and found out that there was a festival going on. The festival was like the one in Santiago, with parade floats and the people around them were spraying at them frantically. So the people on the float were completely covered in foam but they were still smiling. We found out that the restaurant we were looking for was closed so we went to a different restaurant and sat on the balcony so we could see the parade while we ate. When the parade finished we watched the people spraying each other with foam, and some people had huge buckets of water andwere splashing water at people. When we were finished with our lunch we walked out of the restaurant and avoided being splashed and walked around. When we ended up in the Plaza Regocijo we found out that there were booths that were selling food and drinks. We should have ate here! I exclaimed.
Meghan and I got an ice cream from a lady who was walking around. She only had two flavours but that was OK. We finished our ice cream and started wandering around because we had nowhere to go and ended up on a street where lots of people (and kids) were squirting each other and there was a lady who was selling cans of the foam. "Ohhh dad can we get a can, please"! Finally he gave us money to buy two cans for both of us. When I got my can I hurried behind a boy my age (he also had a can) and squirted him on the back, and as he spun around I ran off before he could get me. When I caught up with dad,I asked "Can we go to the Plaza de Armas because there's alot more people". Then of course I regreted my words. When we got to the plaza there was alot of kids spraying each other. I walked up to a boy and sprayed him on the neck. He spun around and sprayed me on my shirt I was about to run off when I was surounded. Ten mean looking boys were circuling around me looking like they were having the best time in there life. The guy in the front looked like the leader. He had two cans and a mean face. He waited one second, two seconds, three seconds and then he shouted "va!". Everybody around me started shooting me wherever they could. I got a ton in my face and it was really hard to see, but I got a couple lucky shots in their faces too. We kept on shooting until I could not see any more, then I saw a blury outline of Meghan and went stumbling toward her. "Will you wipe my eyes", I asked. She did so and I went back to the boys. I shot more until my can was empty.
Meghan and I walked toward Mom and Dad, we felt a couple more shots in our backs but we finally reached them. My eyes were red and I could not see well. Mom wiped Meghan and I off as best as she could and then we took a taxi home for showers.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you had fun. You can come over to our yard for a squirt gun fight sometime after you get back to Asheville
    Love, Naomi

    ReplyDelete