Monday, November 29, 2010

Waterfall Hike


Bariloche is gorgeous. The town is nestled in between a big lake and a very pretty mountain range. There are also mountains on the other side of the lake but I think the ones behind the city are prettier. Most of the mountains have snow on them making it an amazing drive just from our hotel to the city next to the lake. After Dad got the car, since Helen was sick, dad and I went to a waterfall. The drive there was amazing. We got to drive beside two lakes . The best part was that I got to sit in the front seat. We accidentaly took a wrong curve (since I was directing) and ended up driving to a golf course. Whoops! Once back on track we got all the way to the waterfall without problems! The hike to the waterfall was very pretty but not very steep or long which was good. We crossed a couple rivers and I stuck my hand in one of them. IT WAS SO COLD! We crossed one last bridge and took the path to a little clearing. Right across from the river was the waterfall. One of the falls fed into the other making a very pretty sight. The foam disapeared as soon as the falls hit the water forming a beautiful blue that was crystal clear up close. In the middle of the clearing there was a tree that was cut into a very comfortable chair. On the way back to the car we passed a sign that said Mirador 1 kilometer. Dad said " We should do it. We can always turn around if we need to." I thought about it for a minute than agreed and we started going up the hill. I must say it was a pretty hike but it was really steep too. Remember the part about we can turn around if we need to? Dad wouldn't let me turn around. Well I guess I am glad he made me do it. The first part of the hike was really pleasnt. It was a nice up hill slant and then it got steep. What I mean by steep is that we had to climb. After about a half an hour we came to a sign that said Mirador 10 minutes. Of course we arn't super climbers so it took a lot more time thatn just ten minutes. On our last really steep climb we had the most scariest experience in our lifes. Dad almost fell off the cliff. Luckily I was carrying the camera and I got to snap one picture before I rushed to his aid. Picture below. We were a little shaken up after that but we kept going. Finally we got to the top. It was really pretty but really windy. We took a break behind a big rock before starting the climb back down. The view was so gorgeous that you could probably take a picture, sell a million postcards and be a millionare. Shame we didn't do that. The way back down was a nightmare. Dad found a walking stick but I decided to do the duck walk. Just as we got to the bottom we saw our first school group. We waited for them to pass then started walking. 2 minutes later we saw another school group. We let that group pass as well but just behind that one was another. It took a while to get out of there. Once we were in the car we went to a "kiosko" to get chocolate before going the long way home. It was heaven sitting in the front seat, eating chocolate, watching the scenery and directing daddy. We took some wrong turns but still heaven. And that was the end to my very nice day. I would like to stay in Bariloche longer. Its a very nice town and I think it would make a very nice vacation spot.

P.S. Dad didn't really fall off the cliff. He posed for the camera. Don't let me get you worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment