Friday, June 10, 2011

Mis Padres Nos Visitia!

I tried to convince my parents they needed to write a blog post for their short visit, but they would not commit.  Oh, well.  There wasn't a lot of time (but the time we did have was great) and I can do the honors.

Mom arrived Sunday to much fanfare.  The girls made a poster for her and we were standing outside the airport waiting for what felt like forever for her to arrive.  When we made eye contact with her and she saw the poster, she had a moment.  Watching her have her moment, I then had my own moment (like mother - like daughter, you know).  Meghan then tells me that I am NOT allowed to cry so I suck it up and greet my mom all smiles.

We have a truely down day - her first at 11,500'.  We went to lunch at a restaurant on the Plaza Principal then returned to our apartment and started a puzzle.  Mom arrived with the beginnings of a cold and a persistent cough she wouldn't be able to shake until returning to Atlanta.

Monday morning bright and early, I stole from the apartment to greet my Dad coming in from his 6:35AM flight.  Only a few people knew he was coming in to surprise both Mom and the girls.  After a small bag snafu and a little confusion about the exit - Dad arrived at the gates to the airport.  We caught a cab home and it was time for the big surprise.

While I was gone, Mike had told the girls and my mom that I was out getting a breakfast "treat" -  which they are assuming means some sugary goodness is coming their way.  So, when I enter the apartment empty-handed, there is a general confusion.  Until, I point to who's coming in behind me.

My mom was shocked to silence and then a joy she couldn't supress.  Helen's response was a surprised, "You're not supposed to be here!"  Meghan, on the other hand, burst into tears and ran for her D-Daddy (did I mention, like mother - like daughter?).  Everyone was pleased and excited about their surprise.

After a boisterous and joyful breakfast, we left the apartment for a ride on the Cusco Trolley.  We hadn't ridden on it before and it seemed like a good idea.  In fact, it was a very nice time to see the sites from the comfort of a seat - and because they were still adjusting to the altitude - it was a great activity because my folks could sit and take it all in.  We even visited a street or two that I had not walked down.  The best part for me was a drive past Sacsayhuaman (sounds like sexywoman) with the gorgeous peak of Ausangate (20,900') in the distance.

Tuesday morning, we had a tardy start after retreiving my dad's suitcase from the airport - we (Mom, Dad & I) headed out to Pisac and their market day.  We had a spot of tea and wandered around a bit through the market and then headed on to Ollantaytambo where we had lunch with our friend Winn.  We caught the afternoon train to Aguas Calientes in order to make it to Machu Picchu on Wednesday morning.

Wednesday dawned bright and sunny and we made our way up to Machu Picchu on the bus.  As we disembarked we were approached for a tour and hired our tour guide.  He was friendly and knowledgeable and was able to adapt our revised tour expectations due to Mom's inability to handle much walking due to her extreme cough (which by now sounded as though it had developed into bronchitis).  We were very lucky to have him.

We returned to Cusco Wednesday afternoon and went to a lovely dinner Wednesday night at Tartessos.  The girls were excited to have their grandparents back and were looking forward to 2 days off of school for teacher conferences.

Thursday we took in the MAP (Museo de Arte Pre Colombino) which has small collection of some of the best examples of many of Peru's indiginous cultures (Figurines from Chimu, Pottery from Mochica, Huari and Nasca, exquisite necklaces made from bone and shell,  wooden statues, gold and silver decorations for both clothing and body).  A beautiful museum.  We took a stroll in the afternoon through the local Artesenal Market and then home for a little rest.    Thursday evening we had drinks on the roof terrace at Marcelo Batata and watched the light disappear from the sky and the hills light up, then a lovely dinner to cap off a wonderful visit.

I took my parents to the airport on Friday and the airline was willing to move Dad's flight to Mom's - and they left Cusco together.  It was a wonderful albeit short visit and we are looking forward to being with them in Hilton Head in just a few more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment