Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Return

On the 3rd day of our trek we woke up very early and ate breakfast in our tent (yogurt, cereal, apple and banana) and then we hiked back up to Choquequirao's Sanctuary.  Edds, Dad, Mom and Meghan hiked up to a big circle of grass with blocks all around it.  I stayed down and read my book called Criss Cross.  When they came back all of us hiked up to another set of ruins that were very big and had a very big aquaduct.  As we left, Edds took the path back to the campsite and we kept walking toward Marampata where we were going to eat lunch.  The path was up down up down all the way.  Finally we got to Marampata.  Our lunch was packed for us in our bags.  Finally Edds came jogging with the horse behind him.  Mom tried to feed the horse an apple.  It didn't work.  The horse would not eat the apple.  Mom tried and tried to feed it but he would not eat it!
Finally we kept moving.  From Marampata and on it was pretty much all down hill.  We passed rivers, tiny pools of water and very noisy birds.  We hiked down all of the trail that we had climbed yesterday.  When we reached the bridge over the Apurimac, Mom had promised me and Meghan that we could have a soda in the campground Rosalinda.  But when we got to the campsite everything was closed.  Mom said sorry and said we could get one in Chekiska (where we would sleep).  Mom and Meghan left Rosalinda first so they could get a head start.  I took a break for a couple of minutes and then got on the horse.  We climbed up 18 switchbacks and after the 18th switchback was Chekiska.  Meghan and I drank sodas and also ate a fruit kind of like Chirimoya but with tiny spikes on the outside.  It was called Guayabana.  Our troup arived with the horses and they started putting up our tent.  When it was dark we played cards with a candle and when we heard "Mr. Mike" from Edds, we hurried off to dinner.
The next morning we ate breakfast as Edds saddled the horse and we se off.  We had to walk two sets of switchbacks up hill basically all the walking down hill that we did on teh first day.  I rode on the horse all the way to the bench and we rested there and had some more guayabana.  Again Mom hiked off first and afer a minute I pulled out my lolypop, stuck it in my mouth and followed her.  The blocks on the ground that showed us the kilometers that we walked were getting lower and lower and my spirits began to rise and rise.  Finally I reached the mirador with Mom.  We waited until Meghan and Edds and Dad came and then we waited until Eddie and Aderli came with our food.  We ate a big thing of rice with vegetables and hot dog inside of it.  It tasted really good!  From the place where we ate lunch was all down hill and flat.  When Meghan or I got on the horse we ran with it and sometimes I ran with the dog Duby.  That is why the fourth day is my favorite day.
We walked a tiny trail that was shorter and when we reached the 1 kilometer sign I couldn't believe it.  We ate ice cream in Cachora and then took a van home.  It felt good to me in my own bed at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment