Friday, May 13, 2011

Eating watermelon in the river.

Today we woke up early, ate breakfast in the dinning hall and put our stuff in the boat and rode down the Manu river. We stopped the boat to go on a one hour walk to get a glimpse of the Otorongo Lake. We walked alot even though I didn't know where we were going. Finally we got to it, the biggest tree in the jungle the kapoc tree. We were told that the roots could go 1/2 kilometer across but only 1 meter deep. One vine had wrapped around the tree so you could climb it. I only got to climb on it a little bit because I wasn't allowed to go any higher. But some other people could climb it high, like Jack, Max and Charlie. We all got a group photo by the tree and then started walking again towards the platform to see Otorongo Lake. When we were up on the platform we saw a squirrel monkey and we had a wonderful glimpse of the lake. Then we climbed down the platform and went back to the boat and stopped at the ranger station for a bathroom break and then we kept on going by boat. Finally we ended up at the place that Meghan and I really like that is called Boca Manu. There are alot of baby chicks, baby ducks and a small pig that likes to sniff. We spent alot of time there and I got a Coca Cola and while I was drinking it Meghan and I tried to catch the chicks. When it was time to go we let the cute chicks down and went back into the boat, we only had two more hours to go! Finally we arived to the next lodge and Juan Carlos said we could swim by the boat. We got to our cabin and I got on my swim suit and went down to swim. Surprisingly most people on our tour were swimming in the water. Lider (a guy that worked for the boat) brought us watermelon and dad had picked grapefruit, lime and lemon, so all of us ate in the water. The lemon was very sour and the lime was not like our limes, it was sweet. Some people had brought beer so it was kind of like a potluck. When I got too cold I got out. And just when I got out José brought popcorn. When I was finished with popcorn I went back to the cabin, took a cold shower and then it was dinner time. After dinner Max, Tash and I played a card game called Donkey or Dumbo by candlelight. It is now my favorite game. We played Donkey 3 times and I won two times. When I was tired from playing, I went to bed. It is so peaceful in the Jungle!

No comments:

Post a Comment