Friday, September 3, 2010

Full Day




Friday we came back from Torotoro to our hotel in Cochabamba and we got here late at night. We went out and ate dinner and then came back and had a good night's sleep.

Today we went to a convent where the nuns stayed, but they said we couldn't come back until 2:00. While we were waiting, we went to Blanco Christo which is the big statue of a white Jesus on the top of the hill. The statue is bigger than the statue in Rio de Janerio - its the biggest in South America.

We rode the cable car up to the top of the mountain where Blanco Christo was. Once we got up there, we took lots of pictures and found out that you couldn't go up inside of it unless it was Sunday. Instead, we had ice cream and then rode the cable car back down the mountain.

We ate lunch at a restaurant with 4 courses. I got a sardine salad, potato soup, spicy beef and a slice of watermelon for dessert. It was a lot of food but since I was hungry, I ate most of it.

After lunch we went back to the convent. Since the doors were closed, Mommy and Helen sat at the doors while Daddy and I walked around a bit. When it was time, we got a tour of the convent. I learned that some of the nuns came to the church from Spain. But there were only 21 nuns and when one died, she was replaced by someone in town whose family wanted to put them in a convent. The families wanted to put their daughters in the convent because they believed that if they gave their daughter to the church, they would have a sure place in heaven. We got to go up on the roof and look into the courtyards where the 12 nuns stay and grow plants.

Once we were finished with our tour, we came back to the hotel and looked up more about the convent. Mom and I went to the book store, and on the way back to the hotel got thoroughly lost. We finally made it back and went to dinner. We came home from dinner really late and I took my first bath since we left home. It's very nice (I am dictating this to my mom from the bathtub).

All in all it was a pretty good day and I hope I have another good night's sleep.
Above (left) is a picture of Blanco Christo and above (right) is Helen, Dad and I with the city behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment